miércoles, 8 de mayo de 2013

Onda Dance Interview: Andrew Bennett

ONDA DANCE INTERVIEW

ANDREW BENNETT

First of all, thank you so much for giving us the opportunity of having this interview. Wilf has been very kind again. This is the third interview we can make thanks to him
Tell us something about you, how you started your career (mixing, producing…)? What were your first steps in the world of the electronic dance music (EDM)?
I got in touch with Depeche Mode very early. I guess I was about 10 years old. Since that time I love electronic music, I love all that 80s stuff . At the age of 16 I started DJing. My whole life has something to do with music, so I’m happy to make a living out of it. It’s my passion.

How old were you when you composed your first tune?
I started producing my own songs at the age of 21. I learned everything myself. At there time there were no youtube tutorials, or anything like that.

What software or instruments you used for it?
I started with Logic and a few hardware synths like the JP8000, Virus B, MicroKorg and a NordLead2.

Let’s talk about current topics, do you like Spanish dance music? What can you tell us or know about this?
To be honest, I’m not so familiar with Spanish dance music, but I love Spain as a country and of course I’ve been a few times to Ibiza and also played at Space.

Currently, there are no Spanish djs in the DJ Mag Top 100, despite names like DJ Chus, Albert Neve, Wally López or Juanjo Martín who are very appreciated all over the world, do you know any of them?
Not personally, but I know names like DJ Chus, Wally Lopez for ages, also Albert Neve, who recently did a great remix for one of David Guetta’s tracks.

Your name is not yet very known in Spain, so, what can you tell us about your style music?
I play progressive and electro house. It’s that kind of music I produce. Music for the peaktime, but I also enjoy playing some deep and tech house stuff, for example when I play long sets (5hours +) to build up a tension.

Are you currently working as resident DJ in any disco? What style is the most demanded in your sessions?
I’m playing once a month in a club called H1 in Hamburg, where we had guest DJs like Steve Angello, David Guetta, Tiesto, Axwell, Hardwell, Fedde Le Grand, etc…

With whom have you been working/collaborating lately?
I’ve worked with Paul Thomas from the UK on a track called “Datfunk” lately, which was signed to Michael Woods’ Diffused Music and which is also the Globl Gathering Anthem 2013. Therefore I just did an amazing track with Swiss’ Leventina called “Pictures Of You” feat. Molly Bancroft.

What can you tell us about these works, how you feel about mixing or working for these DJs/artists?
Doing collaborations is always something very special, as I work alone most of the time. But with the right artists/friends it is a great thing to work on music.

If you could collaborate or make a tune with any singer/deejay/music band, which one would be the chosen one?
That is a very easy question, I’d say Depeche Mode. I love their music and Dave Gahan’s voice for o many years.

What do you think about the health of current EDM?
I think it is great to see, that so many people are exploring something you like already for such a long time. I can’t see anything bad in it.

And about new technologies, are social networks useful in your career? Do you use them often?
Social networks are great to connect with the whole world. It’s also great to get in touch with other producers around the world and to share your music.

Will we see Andrew Bennett mixing in Spain?
Hopefully! I love Spain let’s see what the future brings.

Can you give us your DJs top 5?
Andrew Bennett – In The Air
Michael Woods – Platinum Chains
Dimitri Vegas, Like Mike and Moguai – Mammoth
EDX & Leventina – Blood Pressure
Duke Dumont – The Giver

What do you listen to in your free time?
As I said before, I listen to Depeche Mode a lot. I love their new album Delta Machine and I can’t wait to see them live. Therefore I’m a big fan of Lana Del Rey, but I listen to so many different genres of music. It’s the diversity which keeps it interesting!

Complete the sentence: dance music for me is…
My life, my passion!
Again, thank you so much for your time and for this interview and thanks to Wilf for setting it up. We hope see you very soon in Spain. Thanks and good luck!
Thanks a lot for this nice interview. It was fun answering all our questions!

Alberto Ramos aka DJ Max
Onda Dance
ondadance@gmail.com
http://ondadance.blogspot.com
@ondadance
http://www.facebook.com/ondadance
Y ahora os dejamos con su trabajo 'Roadtrip' que ya presentamos pero que recordamos para que conozcáis un poco más sobre su estilo.


No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario